Authors: gratinee blog
Wow, it’s September. My favourite month of the year, the bridge into autumn, my favorite season. In Vancouver, we have late summers, and I love that September is still warm–sometimes even relatively hot–yet some morning you wake up and there is a slight chill in the air that you tells you a change of season is on its way. In the meantime, there is still the beach to enjoy, last minute vacations to take, road trips to go on. One of my favourite things about autumn is that I get to pull out the heartier recipes: for stews, roasts, root vegetables.
In August, I meant to post more recipes by Julia Child, but between school and work, commitments to family and friends, somehow time has gotten away with me. As my schedule begins to slow down towards the end of the month, I plan on pulling out Mastering the Art of French Cooking once again and sharing my efforts. In the meantime, all I’ve really had time for is pasta.
This recipe for fettuccine with prawns is adapted from Cooking Light. It calls for a variety of seafood–I’ll post the original recipe here–but I simply used prawns and garnished it with my own blend of herbs. I added some tomatoes I had just roasted, but found that it didn’t quite work. All in all, the recipe is very simple because you don’t have to make a sauce with flour or some other thickener; the cream may seem kind of thin, but it’s actually perfect for coating the pasta as long as you don’t rinse the starch off. Because the recipe is from Cooking Light, it calls for half-and-half, but if you don’t have anything against full fat (I certainly don’t!) full cream combined with Parmesan cheese makes this a stunning dish and a great option.
Fettuccine with Prawns
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound scallops
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 pound lump crab meat, shell pieces removed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound uncooked pasta (4 cups cooked)
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1) Melt butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; saute 1 minute or until tender.
2) Add shrimp and scallops; saute 3 minutes; reduce heat to medium low.
3) Add half-and-half, salt, pepper, and crab meat; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly and careful not to boil.
4) Stirring constantly, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over seafood mixture; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
5) Combine pasta and seafood mixture in a large bowl; divide the pasta among four plates and top with the rest of the Parmesan and the parsley. Serve immediately.