Authors: what Andy ate
Chef Pichet Ong sent me this recipe today.
I think it would be perfect for Mother’s Day. But, if you don’t feel like making them you can try them at Coppelia (http://www.ybandco.com/media/coppelia.html) one of my favorite 24 hour restaurants in NYC.
DOUBLE ALMOND & JAM COOKIES
3 dozen cookies
Time: 55 minutes, Plus 4 hours for Resting
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
¾ cup AP flour
1 cup cornstarch
½ cup almond flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
- In bowl of mixer, paddle together salt, butter, sugar, yolks, vanilla, and almond extract until combined.
- In the meantime, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture on low speed until combined. Remove dough from bowl onto a clean work surface and form dough into 2 pieces. Wrap each piece with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
2+3/4 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces egg whites (from about 4 medium eggs)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugars, almond flour, salt.
- Gradually whisk in egg white until smooth paste.
- Transfer mixture into a piping bag with a medium star tip and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
1 cup of fruit jam of choice (strawberry, peach, or blueberry are good)
½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll cold pastry pieces out to about 1/8” thick pieces. Use 2” round cookie cutters to cut cookies. Arrange pieces on sheet pans, leaving an inch in between pieces.
- Working quickly, pipe almond ring mixture around each circle going all to the way to the edge, and leaving about ¾” inch of circle middle for the jam filling. Fill each cookie with jam and sprinkle top of each with almond slices, pressing down slightly so they stick to the almond ring. Keep remaining almond ring mixture for next use, along with the scraps from the cookie cut down.
- Bake cookies in oven for 14 minutes total, rotating half way through if necessary, until crust is golden brown,.
- Let cookies cool to room temperature completely before serving.