I wanted to name the title of this post Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refine-Sugar Free Chocolate Almond Biscotti, but that would have been a little excessive!
Biscotti reminds me of my Mom. and Italy. Oh Italy.
I am really really excited about this recipe. I'm not much of a baker. I don't really consider my balls or any of my no-bake treats baking. So it scares me a little when I experiment with gluten free flour.
Biscotti means twice baked in Italian. That's how it get's crunchy! So perfect to dip into your coffe.
Gluten Free Chocolate Almond BiscottiIngredients
-1C almond meal
-1 1/2C gluten free flour mix
-1/2t xanthan gum
-1t baking powder
-2T earth balance, melted
-1/2t almond extract
-2 eggs, large
-pinch of salt
-3T cocoa powder (I only used 2, but next time I'll use 3)
-1/2C slivered almonds
-optional slash necessary: dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300F and place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. In a medium size bowl, using a hand mixer, mix together all wet ingredients.
3. Then, add dry ingredients and mix again. You will want the texture of the batter to be like cookie dough, not too sticky though! Malleable enough so that you can kneed it.
4. Break dough into 2 equal parts and create two logs about 12 inches long x 3 inches wide. My logs were about a finger high. Make sense? :)
5. Bake logs at 300F for ~25 minutes then let cool for 10 minutes.
6. At a 45 degree angle, cut your pieces of biscotti. I cut about 10 biscotti out of each log.
7. Even spread biscotti on baking sheet and bake at 300F for 10 minutes. Then, flip biscotti over and bake for another 10 minutes.
As you can see in my photos...one of my logs had dark chocolate chunks and the other didn't! I wasn't sure if the chocolate would burn in the oven or not. No worries- we safe!
And for some weekend humor...Happy Moustache Run!
One last thing. If you signed up for the Fit Foodie Gift Exchange...you will be receiving an email from me later today!
Authors: College Foodie Finds