Try this fabulous Heart Healthy and easy to prepare wild rice stuffing recipe instead of traditional high fat stuffing. The fresh sage, cherries, and apricots make this holiday dish aromatic and full of flavor.
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup uncooked wild rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
1/2 cup dried sweet cherries
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add celery, onion, wild rice, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes.
3. Stir in broth and sage; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
4. Stir in long-grain brown rice, and bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in cherries and remaining ingredients.
Nutritional Information: Serves 12
Source: Cooking Light