2 cups butternut squash, (about 10 oz.)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup chopped shallots
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1-2 TBS. lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 TBS. lightly toasted pine nuts (optional)
1 tsp. minced fresh chives (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds and strings. Peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes and toss with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Place cubes on a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse well and drain.
- Heat a deep, non-stick pot. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until shallots soften slightly.
- Add the quinoa and toast it until it has dried out and begins to exude a toasty aroma.
- Add the squash along with thyme and vegetable broth. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring once or twice, until all broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon peel and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more lemon juice if needed.
- Serve with toasted pine nuts and chives sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Facts: 4 servings
Fat 5.7 gm
Protein 8.4 gm
Carbohydrates 41.2 gm
Sugar 1.7 gm
Fiber 5.2 gm
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 291.8 mg