I’m very bad. I get midnight cravings for bread upma – a spiced, stir fried bread dish. Its very easy to make and there is always bread lying around that needs to be used up. So I can tip toe into the kitchen at midnight and quickly whip up this snack without waking up the husband (because I dont want to share my bread upma!).
Use white or brown bread. And if its slightly stale, thats fine too. This recipe is a great way to use up left over bread. If you find the upma is too dry (older breads will be drier), just sprinkle some water and toss to soften it.
serves about 4 as a snack
10 slices of bread, white or brown
4 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 cup minced onion (1 small onion)
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger, optional
1 green chili, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon, or according to taste red chili powder
1 tomato deseeded and chopped
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Cut off the crust of the bread. Discard the crust or save for making bread crumbs. This is optional, you can leave the crust on if you like. Cut the bread into cubes.
2. Heat oil in a large wok. Add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the onion, ginger and green chili. Saute on medium heat till the onion is translucent.
3. Then add the turmeric and red chili powders. Stir for a few seconds.
4. Add in the bread cubes, tomato, lime juice and salt.
5. Stir gently till everything is evenly combined and the bread has absorbed all the spices and turned yellow. About 4 minutes,
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Tagged as: bread, easy, indianPrint